June 14, 2005

The Week of Surgey

On April 14th I had my surgery at Northside Hospital. Suprisenly we were all calm but i think deep down we were all very worried. I mean, I'm going into surgery...who wouldn't be?!? when we got there, we went into this big waiting room and the lady would call us for us to go into a room to fill out paper work, then they would call us again for us to go into another room, I think my mom ended up going into like 4 rooms to fill out paperwork. But I sat in the waiting room with my dad. But then we went into a "holding" room. There I had to change into the most ugliest outfits! And they put and IV in me. And later they gave me this drug (I guess) that made me "crazy" and "woozy". haha. Then it was time to go into surgery. We asked if I can get pictures of me in there and with all my nurses and doctor. And let me tell you, even though I was a little "woozy" I still remeber how nice they were! You can even tell by the pictures. They probably thought I was crazy for wanting to get pcitures but they still did it anyways. So now I got all these wonderful pictures for my photo alblums at home. I would definatly regretted it if I didn't get pictures. haha. But anyways, you'll see the pictures in the next blog. Then I was in surgery. The nurses gave my mom a "pager" that would buzz when I was out of surgery so she didn't have to worry if I was done every 5 minutes. haha. The surgery took about 3 hours. And then I was put into another "holding" room until I woke up. When I don't have my hearing aid in I sleep like a baby, and so I never really woke up completly because I couldn't hear anything. So finally they let my mom come in to put my hearing aid in. And then I was basically forced to stay "awake". haha. I remember when the nurse would try to talk to me but I couldn't hear her and so she finally started writing everything she was saying on paper. So that was very helpful. I also rememeber that I had a little pain. But I don't think I was really noticing it until I got my room and was really awake. I didn't move that much at all. If I did I would get very dizzy and sick. So it took me awhile to get on my feet to move. I remmber it was very hard to go to the bathroom or even to sit my head up. But by that night and the next morning I was able to move a little bit. Some of my friends and family came to the hospital to see me. I thought that was really nice knowing that they were there for me. But then when I got home I didn't do much. I just slept and watched some T.V. Although there is never really anything on when I want to watch T.V. Only when I'm not. haha. But I got lots of cards and gifts from all my friends and family. Then after a few days of doing nothing I had to try to go to school again. I remember that was kinda hard becuase going a whole day in high school and going up and down those stairs all day long ws exausting. But for the first day I think i went for a helf a day and went home to rest. But the next day I was able to do a whole day. I was exausted but I could do it. It just takes time to get back on your feet again. So that was the first week of having my Implant.

No comments: