January 21, 2008

CI users in risk?!

(please note, this could be offensive to some... and I'm sorry if it is...)


My mom forwarded this quote to me from a "Deaf Blog" and it literally cracked me up and puzzled me why people would even think like that. But here is the quote and maybe you'll laugh at it too...

"Look forward to the studies of long-term consequences of CI users, especially emotional and congential development. Let's imagine that one of the country or terrorist group use the electronic magnetic pulses (EMP) weapons to attack the civilian population.
The CI users will be mostly vulnerable to the EMP attacks as compared to deaf individuals without CI devices inside themselves. Or the CI users walk accidently past the huge microwaved area, ex. corporate research military base. Their heads surely will explode or fried.
Culturally deaf people will apply their savvy.natural insticts to respond to any arising situation much better than individuals with CI. Real freedom from the technopoly or enslave by the artificial intelligence/technology."

And now, apparently she is going to have her implant removed because of this... : /


First of all... if you are near anything that has a magnetic field such as the MRI or some rollar coasters/theme park rides - there will always be a sign that says its a magnetic field so beware... thats your cue to not go there.



And second of all - I would personally rather put myself in risk for the future "magnetic pulses (EMP) weapons" (if there is such a thing) then to not hear anything at all right now.



I can't imagine all the things I would be missing out on if I thought about ALL the little crazy risks/consequences of getting it.
Its like saying - we are in risk everyday for driving on the streets becuase there are so many DUI and crazy people driving.... so I'm not going to drive my car anymore...I'll just walk. lol



I don't mean to sound sassy about it (so I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by this post)... but it just bugs me that people would give up the chance to hear EVERYTHING over a SMALL risk that would probably never ever happen : /

3 comments:

Abbie said...

While we are on the topic, I was also told that naval submarines use powerful magnets that those that have CI can hear the morse codes clicks with our processors :)

I guess it is a matter of national security!

Unknown said...

Hi Sam! That is certainly one of the most absurd thing that we could hear from the deaf community, isn't?! As you know that I have a CI website, www.cochlearimplantonline.com , I'm currently looking for stories written by CI users speaking about their life growing up as hearing impaired. Would you mind writing a story for my website please? If you would like to see some examples, please view Abigael's Story and Jordan's story on my blog or you can go to the bottom link on the left side of the page to get to the stories. If you know anybody else who can write, please let me know! Thanks a bunch!

simEONsim said...

Hi Sam,

That was a really funny post. Fear is something natural but being paranoid is not. Like fearing that the sky is falling on you - remember chicken little. I like your attitude. Hear rather than fear. Cheers!