November 12, 2007

The CI runs in the family...

My Grandpa got the Advanced Bionics Cochlear Implant last Wednesday!

He got the new Harmony and we are all waiting anxiously for the turn on date which is in about 3 weeks! But until then, he's getting his staples out this Thursday and he's going to have to just deal with "hearing" out of one hearing aid.

Here are some of the pictures from the surgery....

My Grandpa Sam Rivituso and my Grandmother Pauline - shortly after recovery


My Granpa with his nurse Katherine... she was really nice


Me, my Grandpa, and my brother leaving the hospital


The scar from when we took off the bandage.... it looked good! (the black line is his glasses, just to let you know lol)



As you can tell from the pictures, we were ALL very EXCITED about him getting the implant! Before, he couldn't hear anything and it was getting very difficult when we tried to talk to him. So we're hoping that after a few weeks he's going to be able to hear again and we can all talk to my grandpa normal again! :)

Congratulations Papa, you finally got the implant!! :)


Now we have three people in the family that has the implant (me, my brother and my grandpa)... and hoepfully my dad will be getting one soon (he's a bit stubborn when it comes to his hearing)....

6 comments:

Abbie said...

I'm so glad to see Grandpa pulled through! His incision looks a lot like mine did. He looked like a happy little camper leaving the hospital. I will be anxiously waiting for his activation story!

At this rate, you might have the first bionic family Sam :)

Jennifer said...

Grandpa is LOOKING GOOD, Sam!! I think that's awesome! I can't wait to hear more about it! :)
It was so much fun talking to you in chat tonight! :)

Prince Hamilton said...

It is such a blessing to take care of the elderly.

Anonymous said...

Samantha,

I'm just drifting around blogs about the implantation experience; I start on that track soon with assessment. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and here your Grandpas! Good luck to you and him. You - and he - are a fantastic encouragement to me to get started.

Mark

Jennifer said...

Samantha, how's Grandpa doing now??

Billy said...

Great news for you Gramps. I read the post before this one and I get the same looks and huh reactions. Especially when I tell them about the magnet, lol
Good to hear things are going good for you, update on Grandpa when you get a chance
Happy Holidays,
Billy