August 9, 2006

Last day as a Volunteen!!

The other week I had my last day of being a volunteen at Egleston Children's Hospital. I have been working there in the Operating Room every tuesday this summer and it has definatly been the highlight of my summer! I got to help patients get ready for surgery, get the operating rooms ready for surgery and I also got to help nurses during surgery!! And whats so cool about it is that I got to get all dressed up in scrubs, a hat, and a mask! And I still was able to hear everyone!!
But there is one thing that my mentor, June Malcolm, and I will always remember! The story when she learned I was hearing impaired. Ok, on the first day of working there, June was giving me a tour around and telling me everything I've got to do, etc. And we come in front of the OR room where Dr. Todd does his implant surgerys. And June was getting ready to tell me this whole "speel" about what the cochelar implant is and what its for. And immediatly I bursted out "I GOT ONE!!". hahaha, I was so excited to be able to see them getting one that I just bursted that out! And the look on June's face will always stick with me! She was so suprised and couldn't believe that I was deaf and I was working in the Operating Room! So then from then on, she told all the nurses and advisers, etc. about my hearing and about our story! And everyone that she told was always shocked and so suprised that I was deaf!!
So yeah, I guess you can say....nothing will get in the way of getting what you want!! And I wanted to be a volunteen at Egleston and I got it!! And I had the BEST TIME OF MY LIFE!!

This is a picture of June, Me, and Cynthia. Notice the scrubs - don't we look cute!! hehe : )

2 comments:

Mom said...

Great story!
You are right, we can do whatever we want.

Chaotic Mom said...

I look forward to my boys volunteering like you someday. (Two of my three are CI users, too.) ;)